Welcome to The Arc NWMS!
- October 22- Olive Branch Old Towne FALLFEST (9146 Pigeon Roost Road, Olive Branch, MS 38654) Browse through a wide assortment of arts and crafts and food vendors and enjoy live music! Children can enjoy Trick-or-Treating the streets of Old Towne, for children infant to 12-years. At 1pm, the Kids Costume Parade and Award Ceremony will finish at City Hall steps. Great fun for the entire family!
- October 22- LaBelle Haven Baptist will be doing trunk or treat at Olive Branch City Hall (9200 Pigeon Roost Road, Olive Branch, MS 38654)
- October 22- Lifeway Christian Bookstore (6589 Town Center Crossing, Southaven, MS 38671) 10am- 4pm
- October 26- Heartland Church (385 Stateline Road W, Southaven, MS 38671)Halloween Party 6:30pm- 8:30pm. Preschoolers through 5th graders.Candy, Costumes and Games.
- October 27- Pink Palace Museum (3050 Central Ave.Memphis, TN 38111) Spooky Science Spectacular 5:30pm- 7:30pm. Free for families in the Autism Community! Costumes are optional.
- October 29- Fall Festival at Longview Heights (4501 Goodman Road, Olive Branch, MS 38654) on Saturday, from 4pm- 7pm. This event is designed to be family oriented with families participating together. Each family unit will receive a punch card on arrival. As they visit each station their card will be punched. A completed punch card earns a treat bag. Costumes are optional and a fun time is guaranteed!
- October 29- Halloween Party at the Sensory Shop (5627 Getwell Rd, Southaven, MS 38672) 10:30am- 12:00pm.
- October 29- Halloween Spooktacular at Latimer Lakes (5633 TULANE RD Horn Lake, Mississippi 38637) 5:30 pm till 10:30 pm It's a City Free Event! Activities and Trunk or Treat from 5:30pm till 7:30pm. Movie 7:30pm till 10:30pm. Double Feature Presentation Transylvania & Transylvania 2! For more information you can call 662-342-3468 If raining before the event you can call our rain out line at 662-404-8484 for updated information..
- October 29- Trick or Treat at Tanger Outlets (5205 Airways Blvd, Southaven, MS 38671) from 5pm- 7pm. There will be a special decal on the window of participating stores. Costume contest at 6pm at the playground.
- October 29- Harrell Theatre (440 W. Powell Road, Collierville, TN 38017) is having a sensory friendly performance of their current production "Peter and the Starcatcher " at 2pm. It is a fun imaginative prequel to Peter Pan.
- October 30- Fall festival at Calvary Baptist (5145 US-51, Horn Lake, MS 38637) from 4:00pm- 8:00pm
... a program just for brothers and sisters of kids with special needs
- Brothers and sisters of kids with special needs have an opportunity to meet and talk with other kids who have siblings with unique needs
- They will have the opportunity to talk about the good and the not-so-good parts of living with a sibling with special needs
- Most important, Sibshops are fun! It is an opportunity to meet others, play games, do activities, and have snacks with new friend
Sibshops are a celebration of many contributions
made by brothers and sisters.
- Sibshops are for kids ages 6 - 13 years of age who have a brother or sister with special needs
- Sibshops will meet at Longview Point Baptist Church in Hernando, MS, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on select Saturdays
- Cost is $10 per child
- Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To register your child for Sibshops: http://www.thearcnwms.org/sibshops
Register for SibShops
Little House Art Project
Little House Art Project is an opportunity for all teens to learn more about the fundamentals of art. Studies in light sources, painting still life, and more will be explored in this series of classes with Artist Vicky Neyman (member of Olive Branch Art Council and Gallery 12: A Coterie of Artists).
Spring and Fall Classes will be held the Second Saturday of the month,
April through June and August through October.
9:00 a.m. to Noon
$25 per session includes supplies
Limited seating - 15 max.
To reserve your spot go to
Click on Little House Art Project to register
For more class information:
2126 Stateline Road East
(in the parking lot of Graceland Christian Church)
SEPTEMBER 10 (rsvp by September 7) -- Pastels
OCTOBER 8 (rsvp by October 5) -- Fall/Halloween Projects
NOVEMBER 12 (rsvp by November 9) -- Cartoon Storyboards
December 10 (rsvp by December 7) - Holiday Gift Art Projects
Please click the link below and sign up for Community Rewards to support The Arc Northwest Mississippi.
Every time you use your Kroger Card you will be helping people with special needs!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS
1. Sign in or create an account.
2. You can search for The Arc NWMS by name or you can search by our assigned number: 14251.
3. Then use your Kroger Card to help The Arc Northwest Mississippi.
You will want to bring your sewing machine, neutral color thread (grey works great), straight pins,
a snack, your lunch and drink.
We hope you can join us. The help is very much appreciated.
The Arc Mid-South is hosting the following workshop on October 21st .
Response to Intervention and Instruction (RTI²) Workshop (Offered in English and Spanish)
Location: The Arc Mid-South, 3485 Poplar Avenue #210
Time(s): 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM CT
Calendar: STEP Workshops - West TN
This workshop is for Parents, family members, advocates, and professionals from disability organizations who will learn…an in depth overview of Tennessee’s RTI² framework and how this problem solving model will be used to identify need for special education intervention. In addition, an overview of Instructionally Appropriate IEPs will be delivered with discussion around identified area(s) of deficit, establishing need, present levels of performance, measurable annual goals and progress monitoring.
Workshops Session Times:
English Session: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
Spanish Session: 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Please note, child care will not be provided, so please make childcare arrangements for your children.
To Register for this FREE workshop call: The Arc Mid-South at 901-327-2473 or via email email@example.com
Click here to check out the upcoming FREE parent training workshops offered by our sponsors.
Bullying: How Parents Can Help
Did you miss this training last week? Well, you're in luck! It was recorded and can be viewed on our website, along with other trainings.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW RECORDINGS OF PAST TRAININGS
Skills for Effective Advocacy
October 19, 2016, 12:00 noon
Presented by: Pam Dollar, Director, MSPTI
What does it mean to be an "advocate"? An advocate is a: supporter, backer, believer, and promoter. You can be all of these! The goal of this workshop is to expand your skills to become a more effective advocate. This training will teach what advocacy means, how to improve your advocacy skills and how you can make a difference! You will learn six critical skills to becoming an effective advocate. You will also be provided with useful tips on how to locate resources, be organized, communicate effectively and resolve disagreements.
Parenting with Positive Behavior Supports
November 8, 2016, 12:00 noon
Presented by: Patty Gautier, Parent Coordinator, REACH MS
The implementation of PBIS provides adults and children with more opportunities for positive interactions and offers an opportunity for lasting behavioral changes. This presentation will offer an overview of the basic principles of PBIS and practical examples of how it can support positive changes in behavior at home.
Tuesday, October 18th from 1:00 pm until 3:00 pm
We are located at 1090 C Main Street Southaven, Ms. 38671.
We are really excited to show you the quality programming our Desoto County Program has to offer the community. We look forward to seeing you there.
Directions: Take Interstate 55 to the Southaven/Stateline Road exit. Take a left. Go to the light at Rite Aid and stay straight. We are the first drive to the right. We are located behind the Desoto Assimilation Center.
Scent Evidence K9
Human Scent Preservation Kit
Using a scent pad that has been correctly preserved within a sealed sterile jar reduces the start time of the K9 team. When other articles, such as clothing, are used to collect the person's scent , it may be necessary to dismiss the scent of other people (e.g., other members of the household, law enforcement personnel, healthcare providers, etc.) whose scent may have contaminated these articles.
Having a scent pad that has been correctly preserved within a sealed sterile jar increases law enforcement and search personnel awareness of human scent discriminate K9 teams. Properly trained human scent discriminate K9 teams are capable of trailing in high traffic areas, on multiple types of surfaces, with trails that are over 24 hours old and vehicle trails.
*Each kit comes with a jar, lid, sterile gauze pad, tamper proof tape, label and instruction booklet.
To get your own Human Scent Preservation Kit contact Director William Nichols with the DeSoto County Sheriff's Department at (901) 282-7473 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lessons will be held Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday!
We have a limited number of new rider spots available, and we'd love to be able to serve as many people as can benefit through equine therapy!
Therapeutic Riding Lessons target physical, social and recreational goals for each individual participant. Southern Reins offers group lessons with 2-4 riders in each class. Classes are 45-50 minutes long and include mounting, exercise and skills development, and dismounting. We also offer 30-minute private lessons. Benefits include improvements in strength, balance and fine motor skills, enhanced socialization and communication, improved learning engagement and retention, and greater self-confidence and skill ability.
We also have openings for new volunteers to assist as sidewalkers, horse leaders, barn volunteers and more! We have two upcoming training dates on the calendar:
September 8 and September 10
Volunteer & Community Outreach Director
Southern Reins Center for Equine Therapy
6070 Poplar Avenue, Ste. 750
Memphis TN 38119
Our mission is to serve individuals with physical, cognitive and emotional disabilities and hardship by providing equine activities and therapeutic riding to empower, inspire, nurture and succeed.
DESOTO TOWNE CINEMA
Join us for a sensory-friendly family movie at the Southaven Malco.
7130 Malco Boulevard, Southaven, MS
-Moderately dimmed lighting
-Guests are welcome to move around and be themselves
-Special pricing of $5.50 per ticket
-Movie begins at 9:30 a.m.
Great starter movie format for toddlers too!
Email email@example.com for more information.
Tickets available day of event only in theater lobby.
Upcoming Movies - Mark Your Calendars!
September 10 - The Wild Life
September 24 - Storks
November 5 - Trolls
November 26 - Moana
S.N.A.A.P. (Special Needs Athletic & Aquatic Program)
In collaboration with the DeSoto County Schools and the Olive Branch YMCA, S.N.A.A.P. is a program that gives children with special needs (ages 3 to 16) the opportunity to build healthy spirit, mind, and bodies through fun programming that promotes movement and exercise.
Special Needs Swim Lessons
Olive Branch YMCA 2016 Ages 5-12
Classes will BE MONDAY AND WEDNESDAY
30 minutes long.
NEMO 1 4 PM
NEMO 2 4:45 PM
Register at the welcome center
Registration opens 4 weeks before the start of each session
For information contact Pam Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ole Miss presents SO College Unified Flag Football League
The practices will be on Wednesday nights at 7:00 p.m. in Oxford MS. Remember, once your child starts playing in this league, they have committed to the entire season. They will need to be at every practice/game.
The skills day and all competitions will be played Wednesdays at 7:00pm.
Skills Day: September 14th
Practice: September 21st
Game 1: September 28th
Game 2: October 5th
Game 3: October 12th
Championships: October 19th - 3 v 4 & 1 v 2
Email email@example.com if you are interested in your child participating.
PARENTS NIGHT OUT!
Need an evening of FUN?
Parents Night Out gives our community an opportunity for a
much needed break and a chance to recharge your battery.
The incredible evening will be filled
Costume Contest and more…
Where: Martha’s Manor
5137 Quince Rd. 38117
When: October 22, 2016
Who: Guys and Girls 18-60+ yrs.
with special needs
Space is limited to 25
*Registration is required.
Register by October 15th
to Shannon @ 901-763-1373 /
Fire and Life Safety Day in Southaven
Saturday October 15, 2016
1:00 pm- 5:00 pm
The Arena at Southaven
7360 Hwy 51 N
Southaven, MS 38671
Did you know you can sign up for grocery pick up?
The Kroger Store located at 3095 Goodman Road East in Southaven, MS offers this service and can be found at https://www.kroger.com/storecatalog/clicklistbeta/#/.
The Wal Mart located at 7950 Craft Goodman Frontage Road in Olive Branch, MS also has begun offering this service. Start shopping at https://grocery.walmart.com/usd-estore/m/register/signin-only.jsp.
The Arc Northwest Mississippi
The Arc of Mississippi was founded in 1961 and is an affiliate of The Arc of the United States, the world's largest grassroots advocacy organization for citizens of all ages with cognitive, intellectual, and developmental disabilities, and their families.
The Arc of Mississippi works to include all children and adults with cognitive, intellectual, and developmental disabilities in every community. We focus on abilities, respect, choice for all and encourage active citizenship and inclusion in every community.
- One in every ten families in America has a member with an intellectual and developmental disability.
- One in 68 children are diagnosed with autism.
- There are more than 7.5 million people in the U.S. with an intellectual and developmental disability.
- Cognitive/intellectual disability is a condition, not a disease.
- People with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families are valued, respected and included in all communities.
- People with intellectual and developmental disabilities direct their own lives.
- People choose their services and supports from many available sources.
- People are empowered through nonprofit advocacy. State and federal governments administer programs and set budgets that meet everyone's needs.