ART TO ACHIEVE
Art to Achieve 2021
Art to Achieve will be held at
First Baptist Church of Horn Lake,
3505 Goodman Road, Horn Lake, MS
Art to Achieve is a 4-week program that allows individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities to explore art in a fun and supportive environment of love and understanding. All the activities during Art to Achieve are geared towards improving the coordination and physical dexterity, encouraging focus and attention, educating participants about styles of art and artists, and growing a love for art. There will be a wide variety of art projects that our artists will be able to take part in creating. Additionally, Art to Achieve features music activities, exercise/dance opportunities, and games.
Due to COVID 19, we have had to make a few changes in Art to Achieve to ensure we are creating a safe, clean environment for our artists.
1. Typically, we enroll 50 artists for the 4 weeks of Art to Achieve. We must lessen the number of participants to allow for social distancing. In the past, once an artists is signed up for the program, they are set for all 4 weeks. This year we will limit the number of participants to 30 per week, AND we will ask you to choose the weeks you would like to attend. You may attend all 4 weeks if your schedule allows it. We are making this change because in the past, artists will sign up for the program and only attend one or two weeks. Asking artists to choose their weeks will allow us to make sure we are serving as many people as possible.
2. We will also need to limit our volunteers to allow for social distancing. We love social activities at The Arc NWMS, and we always try to have a 1:1 ratio with volunteers and participants. We will not be able to do that for Art to Achieve. We will have adequate support for individuals that need 1:1 attention, but we do not have space to allow all 30 participants to have a "buddy" this year.
3. In the past, we have had a schedule for Art to Achieve that allowed for lots of changing activities and groups. This year we will assign artists to groups and they will limit their movement to only their assigned room, the gym, and the music room. We will use 2 different rooms for music to ensure that we can thoroughly clean the rooms between classes.
4. We have moved Art to Achieve to the afternoons this year. This change has nothing to do with COVID-19. The Arc NWMS has an exercise program called SuperABLE Fitness that meets in the mornings on Saturdays; therefore, we are going to have Art to Achieve in the afternoons to allow time for both programs. Plus, we might find that everyone likes having the program better in the afternoon.
5. We have had to choose our projects carefully this year. In the past, we have always done projects that we worked on over several weeks. We have chosen activities that can be completed in one session due to the new way we are handling sign up as explained above. This year each week has been given a theme and if you continue to scroll down this page, you can see the sample pictures of the projects for each week of the program.
6. You will notice that the projects are divided between younger artists and older artists. Based on the size of the classroom, we have 20 spots for older artists and 10 spots for younger artists. We have great flexibility about what "younger" and "older" actually mean. It can refer to age, it can refer to artistic ability, or it can refer to maturity. After we see the "make-up" of each group, we will decide how best to divide the students each week for success for everyone.
7. Snacks will be served during the program. They will be individually packaged. We will have options for artists that have food restrictions. Please make sure you list your artist's food needs on the sign-up form. If you would like to be a snack sponsor for Art to Achieve 2021, please contact our office at 662 510-8989 or email email@example.com.
8. In the past, we have charged $25 for all four weeks of Art to Achieve. The Arc NWMS has been able to keep the fee low due to the large amount of volunteers and a few very generous grants. This year, we are asking participants to pay $15 per week that they are attending. Although that is more than we have charged in the past, it is still a tremendously good price for the amount of time participants will be engaged and the quality of the projects and activities they will be experiencing within the program.
PLEASE REMEMBER - If your family is not able to afford this amount, we are happy to give you a scholarship to participate. We NEVER want to turn anyone away due to financial concerns. We will find a sponsor for your child. Additionally, if you can pay a small portion of the fee, that is much appreciated. Any amount that you can contribute helps to cover the cost of the program.
After you have submitted the application for your artist(s) to participate in Art to Achieve 2021, you will receive an email confirmation from the staff at The Arc NWMS. This email will contain more information about the program and directions for paying your fee. At this time, you can reply to the email and let us know that you need a scholarship or that you can pay a smaller amount of the fee.
If you have any questions or concerns about the changes we have made to Art to Achieve 2021, please contact Rebecca Treadway at 901 907 9041 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep Scrolling to sign up for Art to Achieve 2021!!!
Check out these flyers with a little information about Art to Achieve 2021.
Art to Achieve 2021 Application
Please complete the application below for each participant.
We are limited to 30 participants each week. This form will not stop accepting applications once capacity is reached for any of the weeks. You will receive an email letting you know if you are on a waiting list. We will also update this page if we reach capacity on any of the sessions.
As of 1/4/2021 2:30 P.M. - We have processed all applications received and replied with important information. We have also reached capacity for all 4 sessions and a Waiting List for participants has been created. Please continue to sign up, as we often have spaces open up closer to programs dates. Please contact us with any questions.
Volunteers are still needed!!